Thursday, December 8, 2011

SkyCaddie SG5 Review - The Latest Golf GPS Device From SkyGolf

Attention: NEW GADGET ALERT!!!! The new SkyCaddie SG5 Pro is now available from SkyGolf, so before I went out and threw down my hard earned cash, I borrowed one from a friend and this is my short Skycaddie SG5 review. The latest unit from Skygolf boasts a new a large color display and a long-lasting rechargeable battery (hopefully the battery better than previous versions). Along with the patented Intelligreen Technology that was also on the previous SG4, the following are features of the new SG5 Pro.


Brilliant, outdoor-readable color display with automatic backlight
IntelliGreen technology
Rugged, water-resistant case
Drop-in lithium-rechargeable battery
LED battery charging indicator
Easy to use, one-handed operation
User-selectable color themes

I currently have the SG4 and the main complaint I have is that the battery only lasts for 2 full rounds. It doesn't appear that they have upgraded the battery for the SG5, because that's about the most life I got from the battery in that unit as well. Occasionally, the SG4 & the SG5 will take a long time to connect to the satellites. Even when it's showing that there are 3 or 4 satellites in the area, it can take a hole or more for yardages to show up. Because of this, I suggest that you fire the Skycaddie up as soon as you reach the course, to give it enough time to connect, before you tee off.

Honestly, the rest of the features on the SG5 are pretty much the same as the SG4. You still get yardages to objects such as large trees, bunkers, water hazards, end of fairways etc. With the Intelligreen system, you can move the flag position over the entire green to get accurate yardages to just about any spot they can think to put the flagstick. One of my favorite features on the Skycaddies is the ability to measure shot yardages. By simply pressing the "mark" button at your current location, and then again when you reach your ball, you will get accurate distances for the shot you just hit. This is a great way to learn how far you actually hit each club, and to have fun long drive competitions with your friends.

I never knew how off I was on my distances until I got a SkyCaddie and started hunting down pins. Other than the color screen, I don't see any huge benefit of the new SG5 over the previous models. MSRP on the SG5 is $429 on the SkyCaddie website, but you can still get the SG4 in the low $300's. I highly recommend a skycaddie to golfers of all levels. It may be the best piece of golf equipment you'll buy this year. Visit SkyCaddie SG5 Reviews for more information and pricing.

1 comment:

  1. Purchased this as a result of I lost my recent Sky Caddie G5 clamp on holder. This stone-broke once simply three uses! But i troubling is one case that it seems little bit difficulty to to do delete recorded course out of my Skycaddie sg4 .
    any help will be appreciated.
    Thank's & Regard's

    ReplyDelete