Thursday, November 17, 2011

Toro 51467 Weed Eater Complete Review

A few weeks ago I was at a garage sale with my parents. I am always on the look out for cheap lawn and landscape equipment that I can use for my lawn business or review on my blog. I noticed a Toro 51467 cordless weed eater on sale. I had never used this model and wanted to give it a try, so I bought it.

The trimmer came with the original box and owner's manual. It looked to be fairly new and I thought that the price was fair at $25. I was excited to go try it out to see how the trimmer would compare to other battery powered trimmers I had used in the past.

Since my parents house was close by and needed to be mowed I decided to try it out there first. The unit was already assembled and the people at the garage sale told me it was fully charged, so I was ready to go. After getting it running, the first thing I noticed was that it was a little louder than other battery powered weed eaters I had used. It wasn't too loud, but definitely more noisy than the others.

I am normally able to finish trimming and edging my parents lawn in under 15 minutes with my gas powered, commercial grade trimmer. I was curious to see how long it would take me with the Toro weed eater. Also, I wanted to find out if I could get it done on one battery charge.

Although the trimmer was a little bit louder, it had a little more power than the other battery powered units. However, the cutting area wasn't very large so the trimming was taking me longer than usual. The company's description stated that the cutting swath was 8 inches, but I thought that was being generous. I was able to finish trimming and edging the lawn in just under 25 minutes. And, the battery lasted the duration.

I found trying to edge with the weed eater a bit awkward. Due to the short string and the guard, it was pretty tough to see what I was doing. Maybe if I used the trimmer for a longer period of time, I would get used to it.

Overall, I thought the trimmer was good for the price. Most of the other battery powered trimmers cost around $100 and the Toro weed eater only cost about half that. The unit is not intended for heavy trimming and edging, but works well for normal lawn use.

No comments:

Post a Comment