Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Review of Kodak Play Sport Video Camera - Great For Kayaking

Review of Kodak Play Sport EIS Video Camera

I purchased the Kodak Play Sport a couple of weeks ago to allow me to start taking videos of my Michigan kayak river and lake adventures. Most of my recordings are on flat water versus faster action shots of white water, so I have not evaluation fast action shots yet. EIS stands for Electronic Image Stabilization, which Kodak says can reduce video blur.

I purchased this particular model due to the very reasonable price point of $149.00 and the fact that it claims to be waterproof down to a depth of 10 feet for my use in boating. The camera is about the size if an iPhone.

I have used the camera now for 2 paddling day trips and I have to say in short, I am very impressed. The quality of the video superb when viewed either on the camera itself, or even better from my computer hard drive. I have also uploaded and viewed the videos to YouTube and my web site. The quality is still excellent viewed from both of those online sources but tend to be just a little jumpy due to the internet connection. The recorded video can also be viewed be directly from the camera to your HDTV, but I have not done that yet, I'm anxious to try it however.

In addition to excellent video, the microphone with the unit is very sensitive and again I'm impressed with the quality of the sound. I did find that wind did affect the sound if you're outside on a very windy day. The microphone does have a gain setting which I have not played with yet to see if this improves the sound on a windy day. The camera itself also has a setting for glare, but I have not found a need to mess with this setting. I'm confident it will be impressive.

Both down loading the videos and charging the unit is very easy via USB connection. The controls are minimal and easy to figure out. There are only 5 buttons with good graphics for control, but these provide all the features you need. The center push/tilt button provides most of the operating functions needed. The instruction manual is only 19 pages indicating how easy the camera to use. Did I mention it also takes good still shots?

I purchased a 16 GB memory card, and it will take up to a 32GB memory card. There is not enough internal memory to use the camera so you must purchase an extra memory card. I have found the 16GB card very adequate for taking a day's worth of videos (turning the camera on and off based on the action).

I have heard complaints from other people that their video camera has short battery life. I have found no issues with battery life so far and have found no need to purchase a second battery as a back-up. I have used the camera all day as much as I wanted without the battery going dead.

The other feature I have not tried is filming under water to see if the claim for underwater use is valid. There is a setting for underwater use that that must be set prior to underwater use.

So far I have found no fault with the camera and the quality of the sound and video far exceeds my expectations. It is well worth the money even if you never considered needing a video camera like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment